Monday, March 23, 2009

Irish Soda Bread


I didn't get too festive with St. Patrick's Day this year. I didn't wear green, dye my food green, or make an Irish meal. The one thing I did do to commemorate this holiday was make some yummy Irish Soda Bread. This is the first time I've ever made it and it turned out really good. I like that is has a bit of sweetness to it, but it's not too sweet. It was also fast and easy to make.

What you need:

* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3 eggs
* 1 pint sour cream
* 1 cup raisins (I left these out of mine because I'm not a fan of raisins)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, sour cream and raisins and mix until just combined. Distribute batter evenly between the two pans.
3. Bake loaves at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 1 hour.

Recipe courtesy of Arlene Costello/Agnes Walters via allrecipes.com

No comments: