Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Asian Salad (aka Thai Coleslaw)


This salad is so yummy! I have made it several times since I got the recipe a few weeks ago. My sister-in-law pretty much made this up. I would have to say it's one of my favorite recipes I've shared on this blog. Yum!

6 T rice vinegar
6 T vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
5 T creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 T minced garlic
3 T soy sauce
3 T (packed) golden brown sugar
2 T minced fresh ginger (be sure to peel it first)

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl to blend. (Dressing can be made one day ahead. Cover and chill. Let it stand at room temperature 30 minutes before using.)

Matchstick cut the following:

5 C thinly sliced red cabbage
5 C thinly sliced green cabbage
8 large green onions (I just cut these in slices)
2 large red or yellow bell peppers (I use one of each because I like that it makes the salad more colorful)
2 medium carrots, peeled (I use a potato peeler to peel the carrots because cutting them in thin strips takes forever)
1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine vegetables, etc. into a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Make 8 servings.

Note: The salad will get soggy if stored with dressing on it. If it isn't going to get used in one sitting, it may be best to dress a smaller amount at a time. Don't coat the salad a head of time; just before serving is best.
Note: This recipe makes a lot of salad. I like to make it in two bowls as I go along (divide the ingredients between the two bowls evenly). Then I only dress one salad with the dressing but leave the other salad plain in the fridge, and dress it with the remaining dressing when I'm ready to serve it next.

2 comments:

jack!e said...

Is this the salad that we had at your house?? It is so delicious!

Ashley said...

It is indeed. Sorry I didn't see this earlier...oops.